There are countless benefits to making an investment in window tinting for your business or automobile. From protecting your skin and eyes from the sun’s harmful rays to protecting your office’s computer equipment and car’s interior, as well.
At Titan Motorworks, we’ve partnered with XPEL to provide you with the industries best in class solutions and warranties for all of your automotive and commercial glass tinting needs.
Is tint even legal in nys?
This is worth the read, we'll hit the points after the jump:
- The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
- Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
- This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
- The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.
- Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
- station wagon
That's direct from NYS DMV, as linked. So what's it mean? Well, technically the law has always stated that tint outside of the mentioned range, is illegal. However, prior to 1/1/2017, it wasn't evaluated during a NYS Inspection. Now it is, so once a year, you'll get scrutinized for having it.
Most vehicles have between 15-25% light blocking tint from the factory. Plenty of larger vehicles like, say, a Tahoe or Suburban, will have much darker factory tint. You'll notice a few stipulations in the above law:
Tinted Rear Window- "...unless the vehicle has outside rearview mirrors..."
- Every vehicle for sale in the US in the past 50yrs has sideview mirrors. So you can definitely tint the rear facing glass.
Rear Side Windows - "...vehicle is classified as a..."
- You'll notice that registration class 'SUBN' isn't listed there. A common classification for vehicles with 3rd row seating, allowing for darker tint on the windows behind the driver and passenger fronts. Just check your registration.
What this means, in practice, is that you can legally add tint to your factory glass, so long as you don't breach the above specs. If you happen to have tint that's darker than that, there's high likelihood that you'll need to remove it in order to pass inspection. The NYS DMV does make allowances for medical exemption, but you'll need to have the MV80W form filled out by your doc.
So, why would someone opt to run darker tint than legally allowable, if its against the rules? Setting aside the non-moving violation potential, setting aside the commentary of 'law-abiding citizens', or 'government overreach'.... we get into:
- Privacy - reducing the chance of a break-in while parked in a public lot, for example
- Reducing sunlight intensity affecting driver eye strain
- Reducing in-car temps
- Eliminating harmful UV rays hitting the kids in car seats
- Adding a layer of safety in the chance of a crash, by reducing the chance of glass going flying into the cabin.
- Good looks. Lets be real, cars are like fashion for many people. Gotta 'look back at it' and like what you see.
But what if you want the UV protection and heat rejection, without the legal issues? Click below.
Wait, There's clear tint?
Yep. Offers UV and heat rejection, with a side of accident safety. No harmful skin damage, helps keep the interior cool. No inspection issues.
We've got options for tint - explore below to find out whats best for you!
- Tint as you know it.
- Two Fronts: $100
- Coupe: $250
- Sedan/Truck/SUV: $300
- Classic tint, modern heat rejection.
- Two fronts: $150
- Coupe: $450
- Sedan/Truck/SUV: $500
PRIME XR PLUS
- Maximum Heat and UV Rejection. Available in clear.
- Coupe: $600
- Sedan/Truck/SUV: $700
Our entry-level tint. Primarily aesthetic, with some heat rejection. Great for leased vehicles, older vehicles, or just saving some cash.
Great SPF/UV protection, and good infrared heat rejection. Our most popular option for performance, aesthetics, and security.
Prime XR Plus
Prime XR Plus offers a LOT of benefits. By far, the best quality:
- Ceramic Particle Technology
- Contains a proprietary blend of metal and metal oxide nano particles to act as a solid barrier to infrared heat while maintaining the ease of install in a 1.5mil construction.
- Superior Heat Rejection
- Multilayer nano-ceramic particle technology blocks up to 98% of infrared heat.
- UV Ray Protection
- Provides SPF 1,000 protection that effectively blocks over 99% of harmful UV rays that can lead to numerous skin cancers, premature aging, and skin cell damage.
- Greater Clarity
- In the past, keeping cool meant choosing a darker shade of tint. Now, window film is also available in near-clear. The multi-layer nano construction in XPEL Prime XR Plus provides ultra-high performance without reducing outbound visibility.
- Crystal Clear Signal
- Zero interference with radio, cellular, or bluetooth signals.
Automotive Window Tint
It’s no secret that the sun’s rays create heat and can cause a good deal of harm to a person’s skin and eyes. Excessive sun exposure can also cause your car’s interior to fade and even crack over time. Professionally installed automotive window tint blocks these damaging infrared rays.
XPEL PRIME looks as cool as it feels. It outperforms other types of films to keep you comfortable and protected all backed by the industries only lifetime transferable warranty.
PRIME XR Extreme Performance, Exceptional Quality
Utilizing a nano-ceramic construction, PRIME XR maintains the same flawless appearance and clarity throughout the years. Blocking up to 88% infrared heat rejection, PRIME XR is a budget conscious solution for providing you with the level of performance you expect from a top-of-the line film.
Ceramic Particle Technology
XPEL PRIME XR contains ceramic particles that filter out the sun's infrared radiation — making them more effective than traditional metallized or dyed films.
Superior Heat Rejection
Our ceramic particle technology blocks the vast majority of the sun's heat-causing infrared radiation — keeping your interior cool and improving fuel efficiency.
UV Ray Protection
XPEL PRIME XR provides SPF 1,000 protection that effectively blocks over 99% of harmful Ultraviolet rays that can lead to numerous skin cancers, premature aging and skin cell damage.
In the past, keeping cool meant darker shades. The ceramic technology in XPEL PRIME XR allows us to provide the highest performance without sacrificing clarity and color.
Crystal Clear Signal
Our nano-ceramic particle technology does not interfere with radio, cellular, and Bluetooth signals like traditional metallized films.
PRIME XR PLUS The Pinnacle Of High Performance Tint
Offering 98% infrared heat rejection as a result of multi-layer nanoparticle technology, PRIME XR PLUS combines a cool look with extreme performance. Let PRIME XR PLUS keep you comfortable and protected regardless of the weather.
Ceramic Particle Technology
Contains a proprietary blend of ceramic particles to act as a solid barrier to infrared heat while maintaining the ease of install in a 1.5 mil construction.
Superior Heat Rejection
Our multilayer nano-ceramic particle technology blocks up to 98% of the infrared heat.
UV Ray Protection
XPEL PRIME XR PLUS provides SPF 1,000 protection that effectively blocks over 99% of harmful UV rays that can lead to numerous skin cancers, premature aging and skin cell damage.
In the past, keeping cool meant choosing a darker shade of tint. The multi-layer nano construction in XPEL PRIMETM XR PLUS provides ultra-high performance without reducing outbound visibility.
Crystal Clear Signal
In a digital world, clear communication is key. PRIME XR PLUS construction will not interfere with radio, cellular, or bluetooth signals.
Commercial Window Film
Commercial window tinting provides privacy, protection and an element of security for your office and the valuable items within it. Having your commercial space upgraded with professionally installed window film solutions can prevent excessive exposure to the sun from damaging interior furnishings, expensive equipment and computers.
XPEL VISION, a revolutionary architectural glass solution from XPEL, is now your source for all solutions in the matter of privacy, energy efficiency, protection from fading furniture, as well as security solutions against shattered glass fragments. Protect your business office for years to come.
VISION Solutions & Benefits
- Help lower your energy costs, making your business and/or office more energy efficient.
- Reduced glare from the sun, so you can enjoy natural light without the increased eye strain.
- Reject over 99% of UV rays which extends the life of artwork, rugs, drapery, and furniture.
- Increases comfort by avoiding hotspots or inconsistent temperatures in your business and/or office.
- Help protect your skin from damaging UV rays while indoors. VISION helps keep shattered glass in place, keeping you safe from glass fragments.
- VISION is backed by a comprehensive warranty from XPEL.