IS TINT EVEN LEGAL IN NYS?
This is worth the read, we'll hit the points after the jump:
- The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
- Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
- This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
- The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.
- Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
- station wagon
That's direct from NYS DMV, as linked. So what's it mean? Well, technically the law has always stated that tint outside of the mentioned range, is illegal. However, prior to 1/1/2017, it wasn't evaluated during a NYS Inspection. Now it is, so once a year, you'll get scrutinized for having it.
Most vehicles have between 15-25% light blocking tint from the factory. Plenty of larger vehicles like, say, a Tahoe or Suburban, will have much darker factory tint. You'll notice a few stipulations in the above law:
Tinted Rear Window- "...unless the vehicle has outside rearview mirrors..."
- Every vehicle for sale in the US in the past 50yrs has sideview mirrors. So you can definitely tint the rear facing glass.
Rear Side Windows - "...vehicle is classified as a..."
- You'll notice that registration class 'SUBN' isn't listed there. A common classification for vehicles with 3rd row seating, allowing for darker tint on the windows behind the driver and passenger fronts. Just check your registration.
What this means, in practice, is that you can legally add tint to your factory glass, so long as you don't breach the above specs. If you happen to have tint that's darker than that, there's high likelihood that you'll need to remove it in order to pass inspection. The NYS DMV does make allowances for medical exemption, but you'll need to have the MV80W form filled out by your doc.
So, why would someone opt to run darker tint than legally allowable, if its against the rules? Setting aside the non-moving violation potential, setting aside the commentary of 'law-abiding citizens', or 'government overreach'.... we get into:
- Privacy - reducing the chance of a break-in while parked in a public lot, for example
- Reducing sunlight intensity affecting driver eye strain
- Reducing in-car temps
- Eliminating harmful UV rays hitting the kids in car seats
- Adding a layer of safety in the chance of a crash, by reducing the chance of glass going flying into the cabin.
- Good looks. Lets be real, cars are like fashion for many people. Gotta 'look back at it' and like what you see.
But what if you want the UV protection and heat rejection, without the legal issues? Click below.
WAIT, THERE'S CLEAR TINT?
We've got options for tint - explore below to find out whats best for you!
Tint as you know it.
Two Fronts: $100
Classic tint, modern heat rejection.
Two fronts: $150
PRIME XR PLUS
Maximum Heat and UV Rejection. Available in clear.
Our entry-level tint. Primarily aesthetic, with some heat rejection. Great for leased vehicles, older vehicles, or just saving some cash.
Great SPF/UV protection, and good infrared heat rejection. Our most popular option for performance, aesthetics, and security.
PRIME XR PLUS
Prime XR Plus offers a LOT of benefits. By far, the best quality:
- Ceramic Particle Technology
- Contains a proprietary blend of metal and metal oxide nano particles to act as a solid barrier to infrared heat while maintaining the ease of install in a 1.5mil construction.
- Superior Heat Rejection
- Multilayer nano-ceramic particle technology blocks up to 98% of infrared heat.
- UV Ray Protection
- Provides SPF 1,000 protection that effectively blocks over 99% of harmful UV rays that can lead to numerous skin cancers, premature aging, and skin cell damage.
- Greater Clarity
- In the past, keeping cool meant choosing a darker shade of tint. Now, window film is also available in near-clear. The multi-layer nano construction in XPEL Prime XR Plus provides ultra-high performance without reducing outbound visibility.
- Crystal Clear Signal
- Zero interference with radio, cellular, or bluetooth signals.